My HAG office chair, which I have been using every day for almost 10 years, is definitely getting old and it was time to look for something new. The gaming chair category has been something I've been looking into for a while, as I see it as a comfortable form of office chair.
My kids also have two (cheap) gaming chairs that they are really excited about. But due to my height of 1,92 cm, the smaller gamer chairs are not suitable for me. And since I sit on it every day, I wanted to spend more than 100 euros.
It was like a twist of fate when Secretlab asked me if I was interested in one of theirs gaming chairs to test.
Chapter in this post:
- 1 Notice of transparency
- 2 My choice: Secretlab TITAN Evo Black
- 3 Delivery, assembly and accessories
- 4 Packaged in an exemplary manner and perfect assembly instructions
- 5 Secretlabs: Premium Gamer Chairs
- 6 Structure: clearly explained and quickly completed
- 7 Cozy? Extremely comfortable!
- 8 My experience with the SoftWeave fabric cover
- 9 Secretlab Skins – covers for the TITAN Evo
- 10 The elephant in the room: the price
- 11 Conclusion: the best gamer chair?
- 12 Similar posts
I have the TITAN Evo from Secretlab for free, but I always give a neutral rating to all products that reach me. That means I also criticize the points that I don't like. If this post sounds like a booked advertisement, it's not because I want to thank Secretlab for the chair (thanks for the chair!), but because I think it's really successful. There's actually nothing wrong with it from my side. I still have a “feature request” for Secretlab, but more on that below in the conclusion.
My choice: Secretlab TITAN Evo Black
There are two models of chairs: the Secretlab Classics (which you can already see as seating in videos by many YouTubers) and the Secretlab TITAN Evo.
The TITAN Evo model can be ordered in three sizes and with three different upholstery covers. When it comes to size, Secretlab recommends this selection:
- Small: People shorter than 170 cm and less than 90 kg
- Regular: People 170 – 189 cm and under 100 kg
- XL: People 181 - 205 cm and 80 - 180 kg
We have these three variants for the upholstery or cover:
- Secretlab Neo hybrid synthetic leather
- Secretlab SoftWeave Plus fabric
- Napa leather
And then there are a number of color variations and combinations to choose from. You can imagine that I pored over the website for a while until I knew what I wanted.
In the end, this is what came out:
- Model: Secretlab TITAN Evo
- Size: XL → because I need something big
- Upholstery: Secretlab SoftWeave Plus fabric → because it is quite hot in the office in summer and you don't want to be stuck on a leather-like cover
- Color: Black → because this is a color combination in which neither the lettering nor other areas are strongly highlighted
Delivery, assembly and accessories
Regarding delivery, I have to note: The complete chair kit comes in a huge package. And in size XL it is so heavy that I could only transport it by balancing it over the edges like a cube.
I was about to make rolls out of broomsticks that I would put under the package to transport it like an Egyptian model.
The chair alone weighs over 37 kilograms and the packaging is probably another two or three kilograms. So be sure: the parcel delivery person will no longer greet you in the future.
Packaged in an exemplary manner and perfect assembly instructions
Once you have the package in the office, it's time to unpack it. What's immediately noticeable here is how elegantly everything is packed. Individual parts don't just come in a bag, but are packed in visually attractive boxes.
In addition, it comes with glossy instructions that are almost as big as the box. So huge. All the steps required for construction can be found there with pictures and English language explanations.
And at the latest when you take the individual parts of the Secretlab TITAN Evo out of the box, you will notice that it is clearly a premium product. You get the feeling that every detail has been paid attention to and many parts are specially protected so that no scratches can occur without other traces.
The solid construction of the chair elements also shows that the chair is designed for heavyweights up to a body weight of 180 kilograms. The size of the seat alone is reason enough to call the gamer chair a gamer armchair. At first I felt a bit “small” on the seat, but you quickly get used to the fact that you have more space than with other office chairs.
Structure: clearly explained and quickly completed
But I digress: Let’s get back to the structure. Screwing the individual parts together is very comfortable, as sensible tools are included to prevent the Allen key from hurting your hand when screwing, as is usually the case with other products.
It is also positive that the design of the chair is so sophisticated that some elements are simply held in position magnetically. For example, the height of the pillow on the headrest can be adjusted and removed because it is magnetically attached to the headrest. With good magnets that hold properly. In any case, nothing slips by itself.
Bottom line: The structure is comfortable and easy to understand. So you never get frustrated and you can do it all yourself. I would just rather carry the box with two people.
Cozy? Extremely comfortable!
When you sit in the gaming chair for the first time after you've finished your work, you'll be surprised with a wow feeling. My old office chair was anything but cheap and uncomfortable, but it is no comparison to the Secretlab TITAN Evo.
To explain what's so good about the Secretlab TITAN Evo, I've created a small list here:
- The seating area is huge. For my XL model I measured a depth of 53 cm and a width of 58 cm.
- The seat is also not padded too softly. At first it seems hard, but I find it comfortable for longer periods of sitting.
- There is an adjustable lumbar support in the backrest that supports the lower area of the spine.
- The side armrests can really be adjusted in any direction: you can adjust them inwards/outwards, forwards/backwards and even change the height.
- The inclination of the backrest can be adjusted from slightly tilted forward to “almost lying down”.
- The backrest is a full 90 cm high, making it high enough for tall people to rest their heads on the pillow.
- The pillow is attached magnetically and is nice and soft. You can adjust it perfectly so that you can also lie on the pillow in reclining mode.
- The height of the seat is of course adjustable. I'm quite tall at 1,92 cm and my legs dangle 5 cm in the air when I choose the high position.
- The seat can be tilted backwards when you need to chill out. With the backrest at its maximum inclination, you can lie almost horizontally in the chair. And even if the chair overhangs far back, it is very stable.
- The shape of the seat and backrest is shaped like a car sports seat. They have padding on the right and left that supports the bottom and back laterally.
This list is intended to show how successful the Secretlab TITAN Evo is. It's really comfortable to sit in and the gamer chair is built extremely robustly. The adjustment of the backrest is slowed down by the design so that you are not hit in the back by the backrest when you put it back. Instead, she slowly returns to the starting position.
My experience with the SoftWeave fabric cover
As mentioned above, I decided against the faux leather and nappa leather version of the cover. I thought the fabric version was more suitable for summer, but fabric always has the problem that it is more likely to break or get dirty.
Neither has happened yet. The SoftWeave Plus fabric, as Secretlab calls the fabric, is extremely robust and has a smooth surface, so you can wipe it down if necessary.
I think the black design I chose is very nice because it means the chair doesn't look like the usual gaming chairs and also looks good in a normal office. I hope the elegant look comes out well in the photos.
Secretlab Skins – covers for the TITAN Evo
A special feature of the Secretlab Gamer chair is the ability to redesign it with so-called skins. These are pulled over the seat and backrest and then secured with zippers. These chair covers can either be used to enhance the chair with a special motif or to protect the actual upholstery from wear and dirt.
There are not only a variety of color variations as motifs, but also special motifs where you get skins with the individual logos of the Harry Potter houses or even have a Batman or Game of Thrones logo on the cover. The selection is large and I didn't even know half of the motifs. By the way, such a “skin” costs just under 200 euros.
The elephant in the room: the price
Anyone looking for a super cheap gaming chair will probably fall off their old office chair when they see the prices for the Secretlab TITAN Evo chairs. With the XL model you start at just over 500 euros and with accessories and nappa leather you can end up at over 1000 euros.
My version with an XL model, fabric cover and magnetic cushion would currently cost 589 euros - which is of course a proud price for a chair. But I look at it this way: If I use something every day and spend a significant amount of my time on it, then I don't want to save money at the wrong end.
You can definitely get 3 cheap gamer chairs for the money, but I'm relatively sure that none of them would reach the quality of the Secretlab TITAN Evo. I really like the high-quality workmanship, the large seat and the many adjustment options.
Conclusion: the best gamer chair?
To answer the question from the title about whether the Secretlab TITAN Evo is the best gamer chair or not: I have never had a better one in the office. Of course, I am open to competition and am happy to be convinced by other models. But I think the TITAN Evo sets the bar pretty high.
You can also put together a lot of visual options on the Secretlab website to adapt the chair to your own taste. It was important to me that I didn't get the typical, colorful gamer look and this can also be found in the shop.
There is only one small thing that I would like to see as a feature on the Secretlab TITAN Evo: can you please install a fold-out footrest in the next model that opens when you go into reclining mode? Then I might even swap the chair for my hammock if I wanted to take a power nap.
Has the Secretlab TITAN Evo piqued your interest? Then feel free to take a look at their shop .
Jens has been running the blog since 2012. He acts as Sir Apfelot for his readers and helps them with technical problems. In his spare time he rides electric unicycles, takes photos (preferably with the iPhone, of course), climbs around in the Hessian mountains or hikes with the family. His articles deal with Apple products, news from the world of drones or solutions to current bugs.