My new iPhone 15 Pro Max has been here for a while and I finally wanted to set it up and change the SIM. However, when I tried to use the special SIM card tray opener to remove the SIM, the tray was empty.
At first it was a big surprise, but then the epiphany: I have an eSIM. After a year I actually forgot about it.
Chapter in this post:
Transfer eSIM from iPhone to iPhone
But good, you can also transfer the eSIM. And it goes like this:
- On the new iPhone, tap Settings → Cellular → Configure Cellular
- You will now receive a list with a telephone number that you can possibly transfer
- If you don't find a suitable one, you can tap on "More options".
- Now there are the options “Transfer from nearby iPhone” or “Use QR code”
- If you select “Transfer from a nearby iPhone” and have the old iPhone unlocked next to the new one, then a message “Transfer phone number” will open (this is a prerequisite iOS 16 or higher)
- You can now initiate the move using “Continue”.
Unfortunately, this didn't work for me because my provider Congstar doesn't yet support an eSIM transfer this way.
eSIM move via QR code or provider app
So my only option was to go through the provider. At first I thought I would have to go through customer service, but at Congstar you can do this directly via administration if you are logged into the customer area on the site.
So if you're at Congstar like me, you'll find the right instructions here. But other providers are probably similar.
- Login to https://www.congstar.de
- then in the “My Products” section
- Click here on “Details” for the relevant mobile phone number
- look here at “SIM & contract details” and click on “SIM cards & eSIM”.
- There you will find the button “Swap eSIM/SIM card” – click on it
- Now select “Device change”.
- Select “eSIM” here and click further
- A confirmation code will then be sent to the current iPhone, which you enter in the form displayed
- Now you confirm the ordering process again
- To activate the eSIM on the new iPhone, open the Congstar app on the new iPhone
- Select the appropriate contract in the app
- Here you will be shown when the new eSIM is ready (for me it took about 30 minutes)
If you see the message “There is an eSIM profile ready for you” below, click this button.
Important: Click on this button in the Congstar app on the NEW iPhone to activate the eSIM on the new iPhone too!
The actual activation process requires active WiFi and takes a maximum of 3 minutes. For me it was more like 30 seconds. If everything worked, the message “Mobile radio configuration completed” appears.
So the move was done and from now on my new iPhone 15 Pro Max will ring when I get a call.
Jens has been running the blog since 2012. He acts as Sir Apfelot for his readers and helps them with technical problems. In his spare time he rides electric unicycles, takes photos (preferably with the iPhone, of course), climbs around in the Hessian mountains or hikes with the family. His articles deal with Apple products, news from the world of drones or solutions to current bugs.