The latest Sir Apfelot podcast covers the following topics: There are currently more fake PayPal calls, so be careful and don't fall for it. Amazon is currently in trouble because of monopoly allegations. There's a deal between Apple and Google regarding the search engine, and there are rumors about a possible Apple search engine. There are a few technical issues with macOS Sonoma, so take a close look at them before updating. The iPhone 15 has a few problems, especially with overheating.
A cool feature in iOS 17: You can unlock your iPhone with the old passcode if you forget the new one. It looks like an iPhone SE 4 is in the starting blocks. There was some news at Meta Connect 2023, including the presentation of the Quest 3 and AI chatbots from well-known personalities. And finally: Jony Ive and Sam Altman probably have an exciting AI project at the start.
At this point you will also find all the show notes, sources and comments that we have put together for the individual topics below.
Chapter in this post:
- 1 Massive increase in false PayPal calls
- 2 Monopoly lawsuit against Amazon: USA opens mammoth lawsuit
- 3 Search engine deal between Apple and Google is being examined
- 4 macOS Sonoma: first problem reports in the blog
- 5 iPhone 15 gates and those who want to be
- 6 Unlock iPhone with old passcode - since iOS 17
- 7 iPhone SE 4 now planned
- 8 Meta Connect 2023 – what’s new?
- 9 Jony Ive and Sam Altman are planning an AI device
- 10 Similar posts
Massive increase in false PayPal calls
- Increase in false PayPal calls: Consumer advice centers warn.
- Shock calls: Fraudsters inform about unexpectedly high transactions.
- Data theft: Request to disclose personal information.
- SMS preparation: Scammers send SMS with link before calling.
- language change: Conversations switch to English with an Indian accent.
- Amount target: Fraud calls often focus on 700 euros.
- Advice: Consumer advice centers advise ending calls immediately.
By the way: Our podcast is now also available as a video. If you would like to watch us podcast, you can do so here.
Monopoly lawsuit against Amazon: USA opens mammoth lawsuit
- The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has filed a monopoly lawsuit against Amazon.
- Amazon will anti-competitive behavior accused, in particular, of exploiting its monopoly position to the detriment of consumers.
- Points of criticism: Amazon drives up prices while quality drops and hinders fair competition.
- Amazon is said to have banned sellers from offering their products cheaper elsewhere.
- The lawsuit contains allegations that Amazon used unlawful strategies to maintain monopoly power.
- Amazon is accused of pressuring retailers and charging high fees for Prime products.
Search engine deal between Apple and Google is being examined
- Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of services, says in US antitrust proceedings against Google.
- The process focuses on Google's search business and its dominance.
- Apple and Google have had one since 2002 contract, the Google as default search engine on Apple devices.
- It is assumed that around 2021 billion euros were paid to Apple in 13 to keep Google in Safari
- In 2016, this contract was led by Eddy Cue and Google CEO Sundar Pichai renegotiated.
- Cue emphasized that at the time of negotiations there were no “reasonable alternative to Google” gave.
- Despite Rumors about Apple's own search engine Cue emphasized that Apple has no plans in this direction.
- The collaboration between Apple and Google was called mutually beneficial presented, with Apple choosing Google for its quality and not just financial reasons.
macOS Sonoma: first problem reports in the blog
- practical tool: https://github.com/ninxsoft/Mist → A free open source tool for Mac that automatically downloads macOS firmware and installers. It shows firmware updates and installers in a list.
- Problems with error messages due to missing access rights
- Installation process gets stuck near the end
- Mac only loads for a few seconds, then stops and starts again, stops again etc.
- No more access to the Apple ID from one Mac, it works on the other and it also works with Ventura (no internet connection)
- Problems in Apple Mail's list view
- Canon scanning option no longer available, but the printing function still works
iPhone 15 gates and those who want to be
- Overheating when loading and gaming (up to 47°C): https://9to5mac.com/2023/09/26/iphone-15-overheating/
- Software updates can only help to a limited extent against heat problems: https://9to5mac.com/2023/09/26/iphone-15-pro-overheating-updates-fix/
- Statement from Rafael Zeier: No problem with overheating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnIoG_EKN68
- Temporary discoloration of the housing due to sweat: https://winfuture.de/news,138627.html
- Delicate paint application on the Titan: https://www.techbook.de/mobile-lifestyle/smartphone/iphone-15-pro-probleme
- Dirt in the lens, scratches on the frame and poorly aligned display: https://twitter.com/MajinBuOfficial/status/1705552724702441669
Unlock iPhone with old passcode – since iOS 17
- iOS 17 allows unlocking the iPhone with previous passcode.
- Works when new code within 72h is forgotten.
- After unlocking, prompt for New entry of the code.
- Old code can be used Security reasons to be deleted.
iPhone SE 4 now planned
- The current iPhone SE (3rd generation) from 2022 is offered for 529 euros and has Touch ID.
- Despite speculation about the end of the SE project, one could Fourth generation iPhone SE be in development.
- New features could Face ID, USB-C, action button and OLED include.
- The iPhone SE 4, internally as “Ghost” referred to, could be based on the design of the iPhone 14.
- The iPhone SE 4 could be one 48 megapixel rear camera have, compared to the current 12 MP.
Meta Connect 2023 – what’s new?
- Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Meta, presented the vision and products for the Metaverse future.
- quest 3 introduced: First mainstream mixed reality headset with hand navigation and color passthrough. The bottom line is better than the “Quest Pro” business VR glasses that are twice as expensive.
- XBOX CloudGaming coming to Quest 3 in December with titles like Minecraft and Halo.
- Meta Quest for Business: Integration of Microsoft 365 by the end of the year and other productivity solutions.
- Image AI applications in Instagram and Facebook: Sticker generator, Instagram filters and changing photos (backgrounds, painting styles, etc.).
- Ray-Ban Meta Smart Glasses: First smart glasses with Meta AI, launching October 17th for $299.
- AI chatbots: Meta opens up AI chatbot technologies, including the Meta AI Studio platform.
- Meta's AI chatbots turned into AI chatbots by celebrities and influencers.
- These chatbots will create profiles Instagram and Facebook to have.
- Celebrities include Snoop Dogg, Charli D'Amelio, MrBeast (Jimmy Donaldson), Kendall Jenner, Tom Brady, Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade and Paris Hilton.
- Mark Zuckerberg emphasized that these AI chatbots are intended not only to answer questions, but also to entertain and help create connections with other people.
- The chatbots currently only respond in text form, a voice function is expected to be added early next year.
- Here are some of the celebrity AI characters:
- Charli D'Amelio as Coco, dance enthusiast
- Chris Paul as Perry, professional golfer
- Dwyane Wade as Victor, Ironman triathlete
- Kendall Jenner as Billie, loyal companion
- MrBeast as Zach, the big brother who teases you
- Snoop Dogg as a dungeon master, adventure game master
- Tom Brady as Bru, athletic debater
- These AI chatbots are being developed in the USA in a Beta version started.
- Business challenges: Meta posted losses of $21 billion and laid off over 20.000 employees.
Jony Ive and Sam Altman are planning an AI device
- Sam altman, founder of OpenAI, and Jony Ive, former Apple designer, are forming a “supergroup” to reinvent the smartphone.
- Altman is on topic Generative AI in focus since the launch of ChatGPT.
- You are planning a device that... Uses the advantages of generative AI and is no longer limited to a rectangular display.
- Softbank could invest up to a billion dollars in the project.
- Altman is in a company called Humane invested, which is working on a “disappearing computer”.
- The NYT speculates that Altman develop your own hardware want to not be dependent on Apple or Google.
- Jony Ive was the driving force behind the Apple Watch and could be developing a new wearable with Altman.
Jens has been running the blog since 2012. He acts as Sir Apfelot for his readers and helps them with technical problems. In his spare time he rides electric unicycles, takes photos (preferably with the iPhone, of course), climbs around in the Hessian mountains or hikes with the family. His articles deal with Apple products, news from the world of drones or solutions to current bugs.