Chapter in this post:
Today I had the opportunity to get a little smarter myself. The reason for this was a CSV file from my wife, which had listed all euro amounts in a column, but with a point "." were separated and therefore were not recognized as a currency amount by the German Numbers (Mac version). Accordingly, he refused to add a total of the values in the column.
We quickly found out how to solve the problem: You perform a "search and replace" and look for points and replace them with commas. Once you have done this, the total will also be displayed correctly. But…
Unfortunately, there were other columns in our table that also contained points. These were among other things in the date, in article descriptions and similar fields. Finding and replacing, however, should only be limited to the one column with the currency.
Actually, this is unfortunately not technically possible with Numbers on the Mac, because there is no option with which one could narrow down the search and replace. The function simply always affects the complete worksheet with all columns and all values.
As a reader (thank you, Christian!) Told me earlier, you can also solve the problem by calling up the import settings and entering the point as a decimal separator. I've just tried this and lo and behold: Numbers automatically converts all points into commas if, in his opinion, it could be a number with a comma.
When you have opened the CSV file, a small message appears at the top right that you can change the import settings. If you click on this, you get to a window with "Advanced Settings". If you expand this, you will find a line with the name "decimal point". There you enter a point and click on "Update table".
After a bit of trial and error, however, we found a way to only edit the one column.
The procedure is roughly as follows: You hide all columns except for those in which you want to search and replace. Then you carry out the processing and only this one column that is still visible is affected. After the work is done, all columns are shown again. How this works exactly follows in three screenshots and below in a list of the individual steps in text form.
If everything went well, the search and replace should only have affected the one column. In my case everything worked. I did the thing on my MacBook Pro under macOS Catalina with Numbers 10.0. However, it is possible that the menu items in other macOS versions or other Numbers versions do not look the same as in my screenshots.
Effectively for free: iPhone 13 Mini and iPhone 13 deals with top conditions at Otelo - Advertisement
Jens has been running the blog since 2012. He appears as Sir Apfelot for his readers and helps them with problems of a technical nature. In his free time he drives electric unicycles, takes photos (preferably with his iPhone, of course), climbs around in the Hessian mountains or hikes with the family. His articles deal with Apple products, news from the world of drones or solutions for current bugs.