Chapter in this post:
The developers of Serif have rolled out version 1.9 for the Affinity programs (Photo, Designer and Publisher). The update is available to all users free of charge. After updating Affinity Photo, I also saw that free additional content was available for download. How you do the update to Affinity 1.9, what advantages it offers, what content you can expect and what else you should know about the apps, I have put together for you in the following.
Current promotion: Affinity apps 90 days free + 50% discount
Affinity 1.9 - Photo, Designer and Publisher update
Since I'm currently only using Affinity Photo, I can't say that much about the other two apps. The update to the current version should run the same for all three programs on the Apple Mac. It only makes a difference whether you got it from the Mac App Store or from the developer's website. Here are the individual approaches:
- Mac App Store: Opens the app's page and then clicks on "Update"
- Affinity Store: The app should check the update option itself; you can manually search for updates via the main menu
- Detailed information (also for iPad and Windows PC): Support document on the subject
What does Affinity Photo 1.9 bring to the Mac?
The following points are listed as new features and improvements in version 1.9 of Affinity Photo:
- RAW extensions and support for the latest cameras
- Studio specifications for the layout of the app interface so that you can set up your preferred work environment for various projects, save it and call it up again at any time
- Management of linked images and resources
- Extended options for path texts
- Editing reserve channels as layers
- New mixing mode "Division"
- PDF transfer for a faithful representation of PDFs when exporting your documents, without having to install embedded fonts
- Magnetic alignment to boundaries of a pixel selection
- Create brushes from the current pixel selection
- Elliptical selection frames are automatically created from the center point
- Configure the colors for the margin
- Scaling the placement for all placed files - including resetting the scaling to 100%
- Enter numbers for gradation curves
- Blending modes for masking layers
- Live filter levels for Liquify effects
- Link layers
- Pattern layers
- Advanced stacking options for astrophotography
- Sync the content purchased in the store
- Benchmark function for performance tests of your device
- Filters for masks
- Lots of other enhancements and fixes
What does Affinity 1.9 bring to the designer and publisher?
As already mentioned above, I am currently not using these apps and therefore cannot really report much. But of course you can also view the improvements and new features in Affinity Designer 1.9 and Affinity Publisher 1.9 in the Mac App Store or on the corresponding Serif website:
- Affinity Designer in the Mac App Store: Click here
- Affinity Publisher in the Mac App Store: Click here
- All 1.9 changes at a glance: Click here
Free additional content for Affinity Photo on Mac
After the update on my MacBook Pro, I was offered the option of downloading additional content for free and with a comprehensive (commercial) license. This option is available to all users who have an Affinity ID - i.e. an account with the software provider.
If you don't have one yet, you can create it for free. And the additional content can already be downloaded. For Affinity Photo under macOS, these are overlays for fog (20 pieces), rain (20 pieces), rainbows (35 pieces) and snow (60 pieces). What you get for the other apps and what bonuses there are on the iPad will be shown on the last linked info page for Affinity 1.9.
After graduating from high school, Johannes completed an apprenticeship as a business assistant specializing in foreign languages. But then he decided to research and write, which resulted in his independence. For several years he has been working for Sir Apfelot, among others. His articles include product introductions, news, manuals, video games, consoles, and more. He follows Apple keynotes live via stream.
Did you like the article and did the instructions on the blog help you? Then I would be happy if you the blog via a Steady Membership or at Patreon would support.