Chapter in this post:
Apple has once again presented the App Store Awards, recognizing the apps and games of the year. In addition to the respective app and the corresponding Game of the Year 2022 for the individual platforms, there was also the category "Cultural Influence". In this article I have summarized which apps won, where you can find them and what else you need to know about the topic.
Apple's 2022 Apps of the Year
A total of 16 apps and games were recognized at the end of this year because, according to Apple, they should have inspired their users to engage more deeply with the world, fire their imaginations and stay in touch with friends and loved ones. In addition, this year's winners should represent a diverse, global community. Accordingly, the App Store editorial team tasked with selecting the apps to be recognized also gave out awards for cultural impact. And these are the corresponding titles:
App of the year 2022
- iPhone: beer - An app that sends a post alert once a day so friends can post, see and respond to content from their current candid life within the next two minutes.
- iPad: Good Notes 5 - An app to create, import, edit and export documents to iPad, Mac and iPhone. Paperless document management, notes, sketches, mind maps and much more is possible.
- Mac: MacFamily Tree 10 - This app allows you to discover and visualize your own family history using various tools and display options. Can be used in combination with websites such as FamilySearch and MacFamilyTree.com as well as several genealogy portals.
- Apple TV: ViX – This streaming service focuses on Spanish-language stories. However, it cannot currently be used in Germany.
- Apple Watch: Gentle Streak - A workout and fitness tracker that puts your wellbeing first. Workouts and rest times as well as the measurement of active and quiet times of the day should lead to the best individual movement sequence.
Game of the Year 2022
- iPhone: Apex Legends Mobile - The mobile offshoot of the free shooter hit of the last few years. A mix of strategy, battle royale and squadplay for fans of multiplayer shooters.
- iPad: Mounting - A puzzle adventure with optical illusions that can also be played on iPhone or Mac models with Apple Silicon and the latest operating system. Small hints in the course of the game help to solve the individual puzzles.
- Mac: Incryption – According to the App Store “a pitch-black card-based odyssey that blends deck-building roguelike, escape-room-style puzzles, and psychological horror into a bloody smoothie".
- Apple TV: El Hijo - A stealth game set in the "spaghetti western" genre. The protagonist is the six-year-old "El Hijo". He has to sneak out of a monastery by hiding and shadow games. The game is non-violent and therefore suitable for the whole family.
- Apple Arcade: Wylde Flowers - A life and farm simulator whose protagonist Tara has magical powers. A slow-paced game that's sure to be fun for a long time.
- Game of the year in China: League of Legends Esports Manager - Real Time Strategy, not available in Germany.
Cultural Influence category on iPhone
- How We Feel - An app for classifying and logging personal well-being, with which emotions can be put into words. Strategies should also be included to deal with the feelings constructively. Unfortunately currently only available in English.
- Dot's Home – This highlights the systemic injustice to communities of color in housing. A family story is told interactively (in English), which explains the difficulties of BIPoC people in the housing market.
- lock widget - Live photos can be sent directly to the home screen of connected people and devices via widget. In this way, family, friends and acquaintances can be kept up to date even without social media platforms.
- waterllama - An app that reminds you to drink water with cute graphics and without pressure to stay hydrated throughout the day.
- Inua - A Story in Ice and Time - This is an adventure game that highlights Inuit narratives incorporating folklore, traditions and stories. The offer was brought to life by arte.
"This year's App Store Award winners have redefined our experience with apps through fresh, thoughtful and real perspectives"Says Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "From self-taught, independent programmers to international teams spanning the globe, these developers have had a profound impact on how apps and games are impacting our communities and our lives."
Apple highlights app store security
Since Apple is currently being pressured from various sides (especially legally) to allow app downloads on the iPhone and iPad from sources other than the App Store, the Official press release about the award-winning apps once again pointed out the special security of their own platforms. In order to sensitize people against the so-called "sideloading", it says, among other things:
"Launched in 2008, the App Store is the world's most secure and dynamic app marketplace. [...] He helps creators, visionaries and learners of all ages and backgrounds to connect with the tools and information they need to create a better future and a better world.“ A bit cocky, because important apps can also be offered on the free web.
After graduating from high school, Johannes completed an apprenticeship as a business assistant specializing in foreign languages. But then he decided to research and write, which resulted in his independence. For several years he has been working for Sir Apfelot, among others. His articles include product introductions, news, manuals, video games, consoles, and more. He follows Apple keynotes live via stream.
Did you like the article and did the instructions on the blog help you? Then I would be happy if you the blog via a Steady Membership or at Patreon would support.