Chapter in this post:
Recently I reported on in-ear headphones from Cupertino based on rumors and a patent, now they really exist: Apple AirPods Pro. The earplugs with Active Noise Canceling (ANC) were released yesterday by Apple and placed in the shop for a price of € 279. What you can expect for the price and what is so "Pro" about the new AirPods, I have summarized for you in this article.
AirPods Pro - This is what magic sounds like
With the words “This is how magic sounds”, Apple presented the new AirPods Pro in an email to existing customers yesterday. The new wireless headphones with in-ear function and ANC should offer over 24 hours of running time (when using the charging case) and come with three attachments for an individual fit. The AirPods Pro are also protected from sweat and water, so they can function as sports headphones. Due to the new design, the charging case is wider than that of the previous AirPods; But that helps a lot to differentiate between corresponding offers;)
Buy new in-ear headphones from October 30th
From October 30, 2019, the Apple AirPods Pro will also be available in stores so that you can see, try and buy them there. Incidentally, you can secure personalization via the online store – your name, your initials and/or your telephone number will be engraved. Delivery dates are as of November 6, 2019 (as of October 29, 2019). In addition to the earplugs and the charging case, the scope of delivery also includes the three silicone tips, a LightningUSB-C cable and documentation (quick guide) included.
Apple AirPods Pro specifications
Active noise suppression is used to block out ambient noise so that you can concentrate completely on music, audio books, podcasts, etc. However, there is also a transparency mode with which you can hear the surroundings ad hoc - so you don't have to take out the earplugs if you have to go quickly. I have listed further technical data of the Apple AirPods Pro below:
- Dimensions per AirPod (H x W): 30,9 x 21,8 mm
- Weight per AirPod: 5,4 g
- Dimensions charging case (H x W x D): 45,2 x 60,6 x 21,7 mm
- Weight of charging case: 45,6 g
- Chip: System-in-Package (SiP) based on the Apple H1 chip
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 5.0
- Charging technologies: Lightning connection or wireless via Qi technology
- Audio technology: Active noise cancellation, transparency mode, adaptive EQ, ventilation for pressure equalization, special high-excursion Apple woofer, special amplifier with large dynamic range
- Sensors: Two Beamforming Microphones, Inward-facing Microphone, Two Optical Sensors, Accelerometer with Motion Detection, Accelerometer with Speech Recognition, Pressure Sensor
- Operation: 1 x press = play, pause, call acceptance; Press twice = next track; Press 2 times = previous track; Hold down = switch between ANC and transparency mode; "Hey Siri" for music selection, calls and directions
- Degree of protection: IPX4 for protection against sweat and water (no submersion!)
- Battery life: up to 4,5 hours of playback or up to 5 hours without ANC; up to 3,5 hours of telephony
- Total running time with case usage: Over 24 hours of music playback; over 18 hours of telephony
- Charging time in the case: charge for 5 minutes = approx. 1 hour of use
- Compatibility iPhone: 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, Xs, Xs Max, XR, X, 8, 8 Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, SE
- Compatibility iPod: iPod Touch 7th generation
- Compatibility iPad: 12,9 ″ iPad Pro 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation; 11 ″ iPad Pro; 10,5 ″ iPad Pro; 9,7 ″ iPad Pro; iPad 7th, 6th, 5th generation; iPad Air 3rd generation; iPad Air 2, iPad mini 5th generation; iPad mini 4
- Compatibility Apple Watch: Series 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
- Compatibility Apple TV: Apple TV 4K, Apple TV HD
- Compatibility Mac: MacBook 12 ″ Retina 2015-2017; MacBook Air 11 ″ 2012-2015 / 13 ″ 2012-2017 / 13 ″ Retina 2018 & 2019; MacBook Pro 13 "Retina 2012-2015 / 15" Retina 2012-2015 / 15 "2012-2019; iMac 21,5 "2012-2017 / 27" 2012-2013 / 21,5 "Retina 4K 2015-2019 / 27" Retina 5K 2014-2019; iMac Pro 2017; Mac mini 2012-2018; Mac Pro 2013-2019
- Source: Apple
Your opinion on the Apple AirPods Pro
What do you think of Apple's new in-ear headphones with active noise cancellation, button operation like on the EarPods cable and ventilation or pressure compensation? Is it THE update for you that the earplug industry needed? Or do you give yourself to everyday life, sport and music enjoyment on the go with cheaper offers like the EasyAcc X100 satisfied? Feel free to leave a comment on the topic;)
Jens has been running the blog since 2012. He appears as Sir Apfelot for his readers and helps them with problems of a technical nature. In his free time he drives electric unicycles, takes photos (preferably with his iPhone, of course), climbs around in the Hessian mountains or hikes with the family. His articles deal with Apple products, news from the world of drones or solutions for current bugs.
12 Responses to “Rumours confirmed: Apple AirPods Pro have been launched!”
That's exactly what I've been waiting for. The old people keep getting out of my ears. It's a proud price, but you don't always buy it either.
Are they also available in black?
As far as I can see on the Apple site, they are only available in white.
The new design appealed to me immediately. Now you no longer look like you have replacement brushes for the electric toothbrush in your ears. Now I'll buy this if you hopefully get a positive test soon.
Hello Horst! I haven't struck yet. In-ears are somehow not my thing. It always takes so long for them to sit down. : D
For the time being, I ordered the EasyAcc X100 based on your test. With the price (€ 20) you can't go wrong. I think it's good that you can load this up to 5 times from the charging case. And a second pair of wireless in-ears can't hurt either. For me it always takes a little while for the in-ears to sit down, but I've got used to it for a long time. I hardly use the wired (Apple, Bose, Ultimate Ears etc.) anymore. I don't want to do without wireless anymore. In any case, over-ears are an abomination to me on the way.
Thank you for your comment! I think I'm just missing the use case for in-ears. I am mostly in the car or otherwise out and about, where I also like to hear something from outside. The normal AirPods are great for that. And if I have large headphones on when mowing the lawn or shredding branches, it doesn't bother me, it is more of an advantage. But I can imagine that people who take the train every day or fly frequently prefer to travel with the in-ears.
I generally don't use headphones in the car. Simply insert the iPhone and I have my music tracks on the built-in navigation display and can conveniently select and play them via the steering wheel or the center console. Telephoning is just as easy.
Well, my car is a little too old for that kind of fun. : D
I reported to you elsewhere that I ordered the Airpods Pro and they will be delivered on 28.04.20/21.04.20/16. This morning I received a text message that these will be delivered today (April 00, 211). Around XNUMX p.m. it was time. On the day of the order, I first googled for the cheapest offer. I found the Airpods Pro for XNUMX.xx euros including shipping at eGlobal… ... After doing some research, I found out that this company is based in Hong Kong. According to Trustpilot, a number of customers had to struggle with very long delivery times, incomplete deliveries or no delivery at all. Then I ordered the Airpods directly from Apple. Now for my assessment;
I am simply delighted. The best in-ears I've bought so far. Setup is done in a few minutes. With me they fit best with the middle attachments. They're quick in the ears and hold up perfectly without the usual pressure. You almost think you don't have any in your ears. The sound is very good with clear highs and dry, not exaggerated bass. Of course, these do not stand up to a comparison with the Backes & Müller active boxes in my high-end system. But that would be way too much to ask. Definitely the best Bluetooth in-ears I have. For me a masterpiece from Apple. The Airpods Pro are worth every penny to me personally. I tested the Airpods Pro with the following music:
Pictures from an exhibition by Mussorgsky, various songs by Kraftwerk, Pink Floyd and with songs from my current favorite band Dixie Chicks (from the BluRay of the MMXVI World Tour).
The Airpods Pro also couldn't get intense headbanging (of course only at home) out of the ears.
Hello Horst! Thanks for your assessment. Since you're much more audiophile than me, I'm all the more happy that you like these things too. I'm sure I'll write a little review soon, but basically you've already summarized everything in a nutshell: They are phenomenal!
The Airpods Pro can also be paired with my Sony HT-XT2 soundbase without any problems. I ordered replacement silicone tips from Apple. Wireless charging with my Nanami Qi charger also works fine.