At the Apple September Keynote 2022, which was broadcast last night, there was not only the presentation of new watch models, the AirPods Pro 2 and the iPhone 14 Plus. The new iPhone 14 Pro (Max) with A16 Bionic Chip, larger 48 megapixel sensor for the main camera, always-on display, a Dynamic Island instead of the notch, accident detection, satellite emergency calls and other innovations were also presented. The Apple iPhone 14 Pro offers a display diagonal of 6,1 inches; the Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max is even larger at 6,7 inches. I have listed all other technical data, new components and features below.
Chapter in this post:
- 1 Apple iPhone 14 Pro (Max) specifications
- 2 The new A16 Bionic chip in the iPhone 14 Pro (Max)
- 3 Dynamic Island: Notch successor will be expanded via software
- 4 Better image stabilization for "Action Mode"
- 5 More Camera Improvements in iPhone 14 Pro (Max)
- 6 Crash Detection detects car accidents
- 7 SOS via satellite with smartphone restrictions
- 8 Apple Fitness+ also for users without an Apple Watch
- 9 When to buy the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max?
- 10 The price: How much does the iPhone 14 Pro (Max) cost?
- 11 Trade in your old iPhone and get credit
- 12 Similar posts
Apple iPhone 14 Pro (Max) specifications
The two models, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, mainly differ in the size of the body and the display. However, many of the other components and data are the same. So I'm summarizing the specs of the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max here; but indicate if it is individual data of the 6,1-inch or 6,7-inch smartphone.
- Manufacturer: Apple
- Model: iPhone 14 Pro / iPhone 14 Pro Max
- Device type: Smartphone with iOS
- iPhone 14 Pro Size (H x W x D): 147,5 x 71,5 x 7,85 mm
- Weight of iPhone 14 Pro: 206g
- iPhone 14 Pro Max Size (H x W x D): 160,7 x 77,6 x 7,85 mm
- Weight of iPhone 14 Pro Max: 240g
- Display size and resolution of the iPhone 14 Pro: 6,1 inches (15,4 cm) diagonal, 2.556 x 1.179 pixels with 460 ppi
- Display size and resolution of the iPhone 14 Pro Max: 6,7 inches (17 cm) diagonal, 2.796 x 1.290 pixels with 460 ppi
- Display specifications: Dynamic Island as a multifunctional notch replacement, always-on display, HDR display with P3 color space and 2.000.000:1 contrast, up to 2.000 nits for outdoor use, 1.600 nits for HDR content and 1.000 nits typical brightness, and some more
- Protection class: IEC 60529 / IP68 dustproof and waterproof (up to 30 minutes at a depth of 6 meters)
- Chip: A16 Bionic chip with 6-core CPU (2 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores), 5-core GPU and 16-core neural engine
- Operating system: iOS 16
- Main camera: Triple camera system with 48 MP main camera (ƒ/1.78 aperture), 12 MP ultra wide angle (ƒ/2.2 aperture and 120° field of view) and 12 MP telephoto lens (ƒ/2.8 aperture) with triple optical zoom
- Zoom: 3x optical zoom in, 2x optical zoom out (total 6x optical zoom range), up to 15x digital zoom
- Video resolution: 4K with 24 fps, 25 fps, 30 fps or 60 fps / 1080p Full HD with 25 fps, 30 fps or 60 fps / 720p HD with 30 fps
- Video recording modes: Cinema mode up to 4K HDR at 30 fps / Action mode up to 2,8K at 60 fps / HDR video recording with Dolby Vision up to 4K at 60 fps / ProRes video recording up to 4K at 30 fps / Slow motion in Full HD with 120fps or 240fps / Time Lapse with Image Stabilization / Night Mode Time Lapse
- Image stabilization: Optical stabilization with 2nd generation sensor shift for photos and videos with the main camera / dual optical image stabilization for video for the main and telephoto cameras
- Other camera, photo and video specs: Adaptive True Tone Flash, Smart HDR 4, Deep Fusion and Photonic engine, portrait modes, night mode, wide color gamut, night mode portraits by lidar scanner, red-eye correction, panorama image with up to 63 MP, JPEG, DNG and HEIF as photo formats, HEVC, ProRes and H.264 for video recordings, and much more
- Selfie camera: TrueDepth camera with 12 MP and ƒ/1.9 aperture as well as autofocus as a new feature
- Features for the TrueDepth camera: Autofocus with Focus Pixels, Smart HDR 4, Deep Fusion and Photonic Engine, Retina Flash, portrait modes, Memoji and Animoji, night mode, 4K and Full HD videos with up to 60 fps each, slow motion in full HD at 120 fps, cinematic video stabilization, and more
- Identification without entering an unlock code: Face ID
- Sensors: Face ID, lidar scanner, barometer, gyroscope, high-g accelerometer (for crash detection), proximity sensor, 2 x ambient light sensor
- SIM card: Dual SIM via physical Nano SIM and eSIM / Dual SIM with two eSIMs
- Cellular: 5G, 4G LTE, 3G UMTS / HSPA+ / DC-HSDPA and 2G UMTS / EDGE
- WiFi: WiFi 6 802.11ax
- Other radio technology: Bluetooth 5.3, U1 chip for "spatial awareness", NFC
- Location detection: dual-frequency GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS, BeiDou, digital compass, WiFi, cellular and iBeacon micro-location
- Satellite communication: help for the exact alignment to the satellite implemented, emergency calls via text message with selectable content possible (see below)
- Physical Interface: Lightning Connector, again no USB-C
- iPhone 14 Pro battery life: Up to 23 hours of local video playback or up to 20 hours of video streaming / up to 75 hours of audio playback
- iPhone 14 Pro Max battery life: Up to 29 hours of local video playback or up to 25 hours of video streaming / up to 95 hours of audio playback
- Quick charge function: Up to 50% battery capacity in 30 minutes with chargers from 20 watts of power
- Wireless charging: MagSafe and Qi chargers with up to 15 watts of power
- Box contents: iPhone 14 Pro (Max) with iOS 16, USB-C to Lightning cable, documentation
The new A16 Bionic Chip in the iPhone 14 Pro (Max)
In the iPhone 14 (Plus), the A15 Bionic chip from last year has been recycled. However, the new A16 Bionic Chip is used in the Pro models. The 6-core CPU is said to be up to 40% faster than the competition, and the accelerated 5-core GPU offers 50% more memory bandwidth for graphics-intensive apps and games.
Furthermore, in the official press release Among the new devices, the 16-core neural engine was highlighted, which is supposed to create almost 17 trillion arithmetic operations per second. "The A16 Bionic forms the basis of the Pro camera system [...] The CPU, GPU, neural engine and image signal processor work together seamlessly to support the new camera hardware and perform up to 4 trillion operations per photo", it continues.
Dynamic Island: Notch successor will be expanded via software
The rumors about a grain of rice or pill design of the camera cutout on the display of the iPhone 14 Pro have not really come true. Not even the assumptions that between the punchhole camera and Face ID technology Camera and microphone indicators should sit.
That was stacked too low, because in reality iOS 16 on the iPhone 14 Pro brings the "Dynamic Island", an extension of the recess that adapts to activities and information. Whether it's a Face ID query, playing music, pairing the AirPods, an incoming call or the football score: everything can be displayed here in individual sizes and with smooth animations.
Better image stabilization for "Action Mode"
Action Mode, a new video recording mode, was presented as part of the presentation of the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro as a viable alternative to action cams and handheld gimbals.
The recordings that were shown as part of this were already impressive. Tests under real conditions will have to show whether the Action Mode keeps its promises for action scenes, for running films for sports or holiday videos, or for jerky off-road journeys.
More camera improvements in iPhone 14 Pro (Max)
Also in the press release linked above there is a list of further improvements to the triple camera in the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max. B. these points:
- The new 12 MP ultra wide-angle camera with 1,4 µm pixels for sharper images with more details, such as for macro photography
- Improved telephoto lens offers 3x optical zoom
- TrueDepth front camera with ƒ/1.9 aperture enables better photos and videos in low light conditions, as well as autofocus for faster focusing in group photos
- The adaptive True Tone flash consists of a ring of nine LEDs that change their pattern depending on the selected focal length to adjust the exposure
- Professional video workflows including ProRes3 and end-to-end Dolby Vision HDR
- 48 MP recordings possible (1 TB memory recommended!)
Crash Detection detects car accidents
The new "Crash Detection" feature was introduced yesterday for the Apple Watch and the iPhone. In German, this means "accident detection" and it is about the interaction of new sensors with the microphone and other components, so that a car accident can be detected and an emergency call can then be made automatically. This can be canceled if everything is okay and no emergency doctor is needed. The new high-g acceleration sensor can detect forces of up to 256 G.
SOS via satellite with smartphone restrictions
The new satellite feature of the iPhones is also about making emergency calls off the road and away from regular mobile communications. Both the iPhone 14 (Plus) and the iPhone 14 Pro (Max) - i.e. not just the Pro models - can be used in emergencies in remote areas to send an emergency call via satellite.
The connection has to be set up outdoors, and an optical aid is used to align the iPhone with the satellite, as in the "Exact search" in "Where is?". Establishing the connection and sending the emergency call message can take a while, but it should work on the iPhone without a bulky antenna.
Apple Fitness+ also for users without an Apple Watch
iOS 14 comes with the iPhone 14 (Plus) and iPhone 16 Pro (Max). the compatible devices not only get new options for designing the lock screen, but also the fitness app for the iPhone. With this, fitness functions and the Fitness+ subscription can be used without an Apple Watch.
When to buy the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max?
The Apple iPhone 14 Pro and the Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max can be pre-ordered starting tomorrow, Friday, September 9, 2022. They will then be available in stores and Apple Stores on September 16, 2022. Then you can also buy or order them from MediaMarkt, Saturn, Expert, Cyberport, in mobile phone shops and elsewhere.
The price: How much does the iPhone 14 Pro (Max) cost?
As always, the price of the new Apple smartphone depends on its exact model and the built-in storage space. Storage options from 14GB to 14TB are available for the iPhone 128 Pro and iPhone 1 Pro Max. I have summarized how this affects the respective price in the following table.
|iPhone 14 Pro||iPhone 14 Pro Max|
|128 GB||1.299 €||1.449 €|
|256 GB||1.429 €||1.579 €|
|512 GB||1.689 €||1.839 €|
|1 TB||1.949 €||2.099 €|
Trade in your old iPhone and get credit
When you buy a new iPhone from Apple's online store, you can trade in your old iPhone for credit. You get the new device sent to you, you have a certain amount of time for the data transfer, then you have to send in the old device and wait for its evaluation. If it is in the condition you previously indicated (new, good, used, damaged, etc.), there is the predicted discount for the purchase of the new device. It worked great for me when I bought the iPhone 12 Pro at the beginning of last year. For an iPhone 13 Pro Max you get a credit of up to 760 euros, for an iPhone SE 2 up to 135 euros.
[On vacation] After graduating from high school, Johannes completed training as a business assistant specializing in foreign languages. But then he decided to research and write, which led to his independence. He has been working for Sir Apfelot, among others, for several years now. His articles include product introductions, news, instructions, video games, consoles and much more. He follows Apple keynotes live via stream.