Apple's annual September keynote was streamed from 19:00 p.m. local time on Wednesday. Among other things, this was done iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro (Max), the Apple AirPods Pro (2nd Gen), the apple watch ultra and the Apple Watch Series 8 presented. For those who were expecting a new budget model, there was also an update, the 2nd generation Apple Watch SE. This new smartwatch, which comes with watchOS 9, also comes with "Crash Detection" in addition to the well-known functions. This detection of car accidents is made possible, among other things, by two new sensors. But new fitness and wellness features were also made possible.
Chapter in this post:
Apple Watch SE Specifications
Apple is always a bit reluctant to provide precise data sheets for its smartwatches. Therefore, in the following list you will find above all the data that I dem Keynote Stream as the press release about the Apple Watch SE. I may complete it later with more data if I don't forget. But the information available so far also offers a good first insight.
- Manufacturer: Apple
- Model: Watch SE (2nd generation)
- Device type: Smartwatch
- Case size: 40 mm or 44 mm
- Housing material: aluminum
- Display: Retina display
- Display brightness: up to 1.000 nits
- Chip: S8 SiP dual-core processor
- Operating system: watchOS 9
- Internal Storage: N/A
- Input options: display, crown, side button
- Audio: Microphone, speaker, audio pairing with Bluetooth accessories
- Sensors: heart rate, altimeter, gyroscope, ambient light sensor, accelerometer, two new sensors for accident detection, etc.
- Battery life: up to 18 hours
- Cellular: there are again pure GPS and GPS + cellular models with cell phone use
- Other features: GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS, BeiDou, WLAN, U1 chip, Bluetooth, Apple Pay, etc.
Accident detection in the new Apple Watch SE 2
Numerous new functions have been implemented in the Apple Watch Series 8 and especially in the Apple Watch Ultra. This is also due to various new sensors and other added hardware. The Apple Watch SE didn't get such a big upgrade. Above all, the S8 chip, which is also found in the other Apple Watch models from 2022, and the two new sensors that are used for accident detection are new. In interaction with the microphone and other components, they recognize when a car accident is taking place. An emergency call is then automatically started, but this can be canceled if everything is okay.
Buy Apple Watch SE: when and at what price?
The new 2nd generation Apple Watch SE can be pre-ordered from today, September 9, 2022 at 14:00 p.m. in the Apple online store. It will then be available in stores in a week, on September 16, 2022. The pre-ordered models will then also be delivered. The Apple Watch SE (2nd Gen) starts at 299 euros and is described as ideal for family sharing, i.e. as a product for children. Parents can keep an eye on them and the smaller display than a smartphone means there is less risk of becoming addicted to the internet or social media.
- Cellular keeps you connected, even without your iPhone nearby
- Stream or sync your music, podcasts and audiobooks
- Set up an Apple Watch for each family member and manage them right from your iPhone with the...
[On vacation] After graduating from high school, Johannes completed training as a business assistant specializing in foreign languages. But then he decided to research and write, which led to his independence. He has been working for Sir Apfelot, among others, for several years now. His articles include product introductions, news, instructions, video games, consoles and much more. He follows Apple keynotes live via stream.
The page contains affiliate links / images: Amazon.de