Apple's annual September keynote took place on Wednesday evening. Among other things, this was done iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro (Max), the Apple AirPods Pro (2nd Gen) and the apple watch ultra presented. For those who were expecting a new watch version of the main product line, there was also an update, the Apple Watch Series 8. This new smartwatch, which comes with watchOS 9, not only brings new fitness functions for jogging and swimming with it, but also new temperature and acceleration sensors. This can be used to point out a possible ovulation or to detect a car accident. Below you will find more details.
Chapter in this post:
Apple Watch Series 8 specifications
Apple is always a bit reluctant to provide precise data sheets for its smartwatches. Therefore, in the following you will find above all the data that I from the Keynote Stream as well as from the press release to the Apple Watch Series 8. Maybe I'll add more data later if I don't forget. But the information available so far also offers a good first insight.
- Manufacturer: Apple
- Model: Watch Series 8
- Device type: Smartwatch
- Case size: 41 mm or 45 mm
- Housing material: aluminum or stainless steel
- Display: Always-On Retina Display
- Screen brightness: up to 1.000 nits
- Chip: S8 SiP dual-core processor
- Operating system: watchOS 9
- Internal Storage: N/A
- Input options: display, crown, side button
- Audio: Microphone, speaker, audio pairing with Bluetooth accessories
- Sensors: two temperature sensors (one on the skin, one on the display), ECG, blood oxygen, heart rate, altimeter, gyroscope, ambient light sensor, accelerometer, two new sensors for accident detection, etc.
- Battery life: up to 18 hours or up to 36 hours in low power mode
- Cellular: there are again pure GPS and GPS + cellular models with cell phone use
- Other features: GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS, BeiDou, WLAN, U1 chip, Bluetooth, Apple Pay, etc.
The big innovations of the Apple Watch in 2022
Both the Apple Watch Series 8 and the new, large one apple watch ultra and the 2nd generation Apple Watch SE, all of which were introduced on September 7, 2022, have what is known as accident detection. The function known as “Crash Detection” recognizes car accidents and makes an emergency call in the event of a crash. If everything is okay or the watch has misinterpreted an impact other than an accident, the emergency call can of course be canceled. In addition, four different accidents are to be detected: frontal impact, side impact, rear-end collision and rollover.
Another new feature this year, made possible with the Apple Watch Series 8 and Apple Watch Ultra, is the addition of retrospective ovulation estimates to the cycle log. Two temperature sensors - one on the skin and one on the display - should be able to determine retrospectively whether and when ovulation took place. The Apple Watch SE (2nd gen) does not have this function because it lacks the temperature sensors - as well as the ECG technology. However, the cycle protocol that has been offered for several years is possible here.
The Apple Watch Series 8 still offers all the connectivity, activity, and health features known from previous models - measuring heart rate, recording an EKG, measuring blood oxygen, and so on. There are also activity rings for everyday fitness and the mindfulness app. Last but not least, all other additional health, safety and navigation features are also integrated. watchOS 9 brings new features as well as new watch faces to these and other compatible Apple smartwatches.
Availability and price: when to buy the Apple Watch Series 8?
You can pre-order the Apple Watch Series 8 in the Apple online shop starting today at 14:00 p.m. It will then be available in stores from next Friday, September 16, 2022. The 41 mm model without mobile communications costs 499 euros. The 45 mm model with mobile communications costs 659 euros. There are also special models with certain bracelets and the like, which may differ from the prices mentioned. Anyone who buys a new Apple Watch currently gets 3 months of Fitness+ for free.
- Cellular keeps you connected, even without your iPhone nearby
- Stream or sync your music, podcasts and audiobooks
- Set up an Apple Watch for each family member and manage them right from your iPhone with the...
[On vacation] After graduating from high school, Johannes completed training as a business assistant specializing in foreign languages. But then he decided to research and write, which led to his independence. He has been working for Sir Apfelot, among others, for several years now. His articles include product introductions, news, instructions, video games, consoles and much more. He follows Apple keynotes live via stream.
The page contains affiliate links / images: Amazon.de