Here and there I discover on Reddit (which, by the way, I like to use with the iPhone app “Apollo” read) a film that I want to download. Unfortunately, nothing works with the right mouse button and "Save As", which is why you can or have to use a few other tricks.
Chapter in this post:
1. For Mac and SetApp users: Downie
My personal recommendation for Mac users is the "Downie" software, which is included in the Setapp subscription. That's why it's practically free for me and my first choice.
In addition to Reddit, Downie also understands many other sources such as YouTube, Vimeo, Youku and many more, where you can load videos with the app. Overall, the software probably supports over 1000 different websites.
The download then works preferably in these two ways (but the app can also offer even more options!):
- If you have Downie open as a software, you can easily extract the URL of the Reddit thread from the Browser drag into the app and release. Downie then recognizes these and starts the download or asks which of the videos on the site should be loaded.
- The other way works via the Downie browser extension, which you click when you are on the relevant Reddit thread with the video. The rest works as above.
So if you have already booked SetApp or are willing to spend almost 20 euros, you can Downie take a look.
2. Free Reddit video downloader via various websites
Another free option is to use dedicated websites that act as Reddit video downloaders. services like Rapidsave.com, Viddit.Red and others allow downloading Reddit videos. The use of these services is easy and usually also free of charge, since they bring in their costs through many advertising banners.
Usage usually works like this:
- Opens one of the above Reddit video downloaders in a new tab.
- Copies the URL of the Reddit thread.
- Pastes the URL into the space provided.
- Press the [Enter] key or the Download/Submit button.
- After a short conversion, the download options should appear and you can choose the quality you want to save the video in.
An interesting alternative is to put two “s” before the URL of the Reddit thread (“www.” is replaced by “ss”), e.g
https://ss reddit.com/r/.... This will take you directly to the Reddit video downloader "Viddit.Red", which takes the URL of the video into the form. This saves you the copy-and-paste, but the site is pretty full of ads.
Attention - dangerous advertising!
Ads are annoying in and of themselves, but these download sites often serve ads in a way that makes visitors think the ad is the service (see screenshot above with the big "Start" button). The result is that you install a browser plugin or software in good faith that spy on your computer or do worse. A Trojans is the technical term here.
Hence my warning: If you are worried about clicking on something wrong, you should rather use paid software like Downie or the SetApp subscription. Here you not only save yourself annoying advertising, but also avoid the danger of accidentally getting one Virus or install other malware.
3. Reddit Video Downloader via Free Browser Add-on
Another reasonably convenient and free way to download videos from Reddit could be a browser add-on. RedditSave offers a simple add-on for Firefox and Chrome, which allows to download videos directly from the browser toolbar or menu bar.
I hope you have enough variants at the start with the tips to download Reddit videos. I stick with Downit because the free sites just have too many ads for me. I can understand that they need to make money, but I'd rather pay for software that I use more often and not have to worry about ads.
What about with you? Do you have any recommendations on the topic? Then please leave a comment.
Jens has been running the blog since 2012. He acts as Sir Apfelot for his readers and helps them with technical problems. In his spare time he rides electric unicycles, takes photos (preferably with the iPhone, of course), climbs around in the Hessian mountains or hikes with the family. His articles deal with Apple products, news from the world of drones or solutions to current bugs.