Some newer Apple computers are capable of supporting high-impedance headphones and speakers directly through the built-in 3,5mm headphone jack. This means that high-fidelity audio can be played at sample rates of up to 96 kHz without additional hardware. To make this possible, there is no simple 3,5 mm jack connection installed, but rather a collection of different components. These automatically detect what type of audio output device is connected and whether it supports high-resolution audio. You can find out here which Mac models headphones and speakers with high impedance can develop their full effect.
Chapter in this post:
List of Mac models that support high impedance speakers and headphones
- Apple iMac with M3 chip, 2023
- Apple MacBook Air from 2022 or newer
- Apple MacBook Pro from 2021 or newer
- Apple Mac mini, 2023
- Apple Mac Studio from 2022 or newer
- Apple Mac Pro, 2023
(As of November 2023, Which)
Apple support documents for using high-impedance headphones/speakers on the Mac
Apple offers a few support documents with technical explanations on the subject, e.g. B. “Use high-impedance headphones with your Mac” with the identifier HT212856. It describes that current Macs have a headphone jack with DC load detection and adaptive voltage output. This detects the impedance of the headphones and adjusts the audio output accordingly. “With impedance detection, adaptive voltage output, and a built-in digital-to-analog converter that supports sample rates up to 96 kHz, you can enjoy full-resolution, high-fidelity audio directly from your Mac's headphone jack", is it [called.
There is also the Apple support document “Play audio at high sampling rates on the Mac” with the identifier HT212854. Here, too, reference is made to the sampling rates of up to 96 kHz, which are possible thanks to the hardware digital-to-analog converter (DAC). It is also noted that in addition to headphones, you can also connect speakers with hi-fi features to the Mac's jack port to take advantage of these advantages. To set the sampling rate yourself, you should also use the Audio MIDI Setup app. You can find this as pre-installed software here: Macintosh HD -> Program -> Utilities. Help is available for using the app in the macOS online manual.
- Closed diffuse field equalized studio headphones, innovative bass reflex system, made in Germany
- Impedance of 250 ohms for studio use (ideal for mixing in the studio)
- Robust, comfortably padded and adjustable spring steel bracket construction, service-friendly construction thanks to...
- High quality: Open, diffuse field equalized studio headphones, Made in Germany
- Studio sound: Transparent, spatial, bass and high-power sound as well as an extremely light membrane for...
- High wearing comfort: Soft, circumaural and replaceable velor ear cushions, soft head cushion, gold-plated...
After graduating from high school, Johannes completed an apprenticeship as a business assistant specializing in foreign languages. But then he decided to research and write, which resulted in his independence. For several years he has been working for Sir Apfelot, among others. His articles include product introductions, news, manuals, video games, consoles, and more. He follows Apple keynotes live via stream.
The page contains affiliate links / images: Amazon.de