Chapter in this post:
In the last few months, Apple has somehow settled in that the macOS and iOS or iPadOS updates are always published at the same time. That's why we don't just get that today macOS 11.1 update, but also the iPadOS 14.3 and iOS 14.3 update on the table.
If your iPad or iPhone does not yet display the update itself, you can do so under Settings> General> Software update search - and hopefully find - let.
It was displayed directly for me and could be installed on my iPhone 12 Pro Max using the “Download and install” button.
Apple always provides a small package insert with its updates, which you can use here on the internet finds. This time it is a bit more extensive because Apple actually touched a lot of things:
iOS 14.3 supports Apple Fitness + and the AirPods Max. This version enables you to take photos in Apple ProRAW format with the iPhone 12 Pro, offers data protection information in the App Store for the first time and includes additional functions and bug fixes for your iPhone.
Apple Fitness +
- A new fitness experience for Apple Watch with gym-style workouts available on your iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV (Apple Watch Series 3 and later)
- With the new fitness app on the iPhone, iPad and Apple TV you can discover the workouts and trainers from Fitness + and receive personalized recommendations
- Video training sessions are added every week for ten popular training types: HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), indoor cycling, yoga, core and strength training, dancing, rowing, treadmill (walking and running) and mindful cool-down
- Playlists curated by Fitness + trainers are the ideal complement to training
- Fitness + subscriptions are available in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the UK, and the US
- Support for the AirPods Max, the new circumaural headphones
- Hi-Fi audio for detailed sound
- Adaptive EQ that adapts the sound to the individual position of the headphones in real time
- Active noise cancellation to block out ambient noise
- Transparency mode so that ambient noise can be heard
- 3D audio with dynamic head tracking for a cinema-like listening experience
- The iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max can take photos in the “Apple ProRAW” format
- Apple ProRAW photos can be edited in the Photos app
- Option to record video at 25 fps
- Mirror the front camera for still images on the iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X.
- New section with privacy information on the product pages in the App Store with a developer-created summary of privacy practices for the app in question
- New "Apple TV +" tab for easy discovery and viewing of Apple Originals (series and films)
- Extended search function for searching by category (such as genre), displaying the last search queries and showing suggestions while typing
- Display of the top hits with the most relevant matches in the categories of Movies, TV Shows, Cast and Crew, TV Channels and Sports
- Support for starting app clips using Apple-designed app clip codes via camera or control center
- Possibility of specifying factors such as pregnancy, breastfeeding or contraceptives in the cycle log of the "Health" app in order to optimize predictions about the period and the fertile phase
- For certain locations in mainland China, air quality data is now available in the Weather and Maps apps and in Siri
- In the USA, Great Britain, Germany, India and Mexico, health recommendations are provided in the "Weather" app and in Siri for certain air quality values
- The air quality data in the “Weather” and “Maps” apps as well as in Siri reflect the updated national guide values for Germany and Mexico
- The search engine "Ecosia" is offered as an option in Safari
This version also fixes the following issues:
- MMS messages were not received in certain cases
- Notifications from the Messages app were not received in certain cases
- The members of groups in the Contacts app did not appear when composing a message
- Videos were not displaying correctly in certain cases when shared using the Photos app
- App folders could not be opened in certain situations
- Spotlight search results and opening apps from Spotlight did not work in certain cases
- The option "Bluetooth" was not available in the "Settings" in certain cases
- The wireless charging of devices was prevented in certain cases
- The MagSafe Duo Wireless Charger did not charge the iPhone at maximum power in certain cases
- The configuration of wireless accessories and peripherals that use the WAC protocol could not be completed in certain cases
- The keyboard was hidden when adding a list in the Reminders app while VoiceOver was active
Some features may not be available in all countries or regions, or on all Apple devices. For more information about the security aspects of Apple software updates, see https://support.apple.com/de-de/HT201222
As you can see above, there are of course a number of changes and new features that the iOS update brings with it, but I particularly like a few of them:
I would say: Absolutely, because the iOS updates usually hardly cause any problems. And the current update is also equipped with so many practical functions that it offers additional added value in addition to bug fixes. In any case, I installed it directly - also so that I can finally use Apple ProRAW.
Jens has been running the blog since 2012. He appears as Sir Apfelot for his readers and helps them with problems of a technical nature. In his free time he drives electric unicycles, takes photos (preferably with his iPhone, of course), climbs around in the Hessian mountains or hikes with the family. His articles deal with Apple products, news from the world of drones or solutions for current bugs.