The iOS 16 upgrade is available for the Apple iPhone and brings new functions. But what do you need to know about installing the new operating system for Apple smartphones? On which models can it actually be played? And which of the announced functions will be delivered later with an update? I answer these and other questions for you here. In addition, I will always expand this post when new information is available or we have written a new guide on iOS 16. For example, you can already find a help article about an App Store bug here in the blog. But it is also about instructions for new functions.
Chapter in this post:
- 1 What is iOS 16 and do I need it?
- 2 What new features are coming to iPhone with iOS 16?
- 3 Which iOS 16 features will come later via an update on the iPhone?
- 4 Which Apple iPhone models are compatible with iOS 16?
- 5 How can I install iOS 16 on my iPhone?
- 6 iOS 16 Guides - iPhone Tips and Tricks
- 7 lock screen and widgets
- 8 camera and photos
- 9 phone calls
- 10 messages
- NEVER Mail
- 12 security
- 13 bugs, errors and problems
- 14 collective contributions
- 15 miscellaneous
- 16 Question about iOS 16? We're trying to find an answer!
- 17 Similar posts
What is iOS 16 and do I need it?
iOS 16 is the iPhone operating system that Apple announced at WWDC22 and made available for free download on September 12, 2022. It replaces the iOS 2021 presented and introduced in 15 on compatible Apple iPhones.
It includes new design options, security options, features for the Camera app and Photos app, the Fitness app for iPhone without an Apple Watch, and more. In addition, it is always safest to have the latest version of an operating system installed. So even if you don't need individual functions, I would still recommend the update.
Related articles here on the blog:
- Summary of the WWDC22 keynote including the first iOS 16 presentation
- Upgrade to iOS 16: Information about installation, functions and backup in preparation
What new features are coming to iPhone with iOS 16?
The new operating system brings numerous new functions and improvements to the Apple iPhone. Not only will apps and settings be added or expanded, but familiar ways of using the iPhone will also be improved. These include the lock screen, which gets widgets and live activities, the Photos app, in which there are new editing options, and more. The innovations also include the Safety Check or the pass keys. The entire What's New in iOS 16 catalog from Apple you can find here.
The following is an overview of the areas, functions and apps that have been improved or are new:
- lock screen
- Shared iCloud Photo Library
- pass keys
- Live text
- dictation function
- Apple Pay and Wallet
- Family sharing
- Data protection
- App clips
- Game Center
- Visual lookup
- And a lot more
Which iOS 16 features will come later via update on the iPhone?
Both the presentation of iOS 16 at WWDC22 and the catalog presented by Apple with details on the Widgets update for lock screen, apps like Photos, Messages and Co. as well as innovations for security, the display of messages, the use of Live Text and other functions in the operating system of the iPhone and everything else are impressive. But the iOS 16 upgrade for the iPhone, which was rolled out on September 12, 2022, didn't bring everything with it.
The Freeform app, live activities on the lock screen, sharing keys in the wallet, support for the smart home standard Matter, the shared iCloud photo library and more will come later via update. Again, there's a single, small feature here and there that's delayed. For the full list of announced but delayed features, follow the link below: These iOS 16 features will come to the iPhone later.
Which Apple iPhone models are compatible with iOS 16?
But which Apple iPhone actually gets the new operating system for 2022 and 2023 from Apple? Which models of iPhone can perform the upgrade described in this guide? We also have a contribution ready for this: Is my iPhone compatible with iOS 16?
If you don't want to click every link in this post and jump back and forth for all the information, here's the list for a quick overview: iPhone SE (2nd Gen), iPhone SE (3rd Gen), iPhone 8 (Plus), iPhone iPhone X, iPhone XR, iPhone XS (Max), iPhone 11 (Pro / Pro Max), iPhone 12 (mini / Pro / Pro Max), iPhone 13 (mini / Pro / Pro Max), iPhone 14 (Plus / Pro / Pro Max). So basically all iPhones since 2017.
How can I install iOS 16 on my iPhone?
So how does a compatible iPhone user get to enjoy this or that new feature? This is basically very easy via the settings, which have the well-known gears as a symbol. Since the iOS 16 release on September 12, 2022, you will find a reference to the upgrade there. This can take some time, since several gigabytes have to be downloaded and then the innovations for each individual app and function have to be installed.
In the Sir Apfelot Guide Upgrade to iOS 16: Information about installation, functions and backup in preparation you will find helpful tips on the following sub-points: Upgrade from iPhone settings, Install iOS 16 on iPhone via computer, Should I wait to upgrade to iOS 16?, Tip: Make a backup on the computer beforehand and What does iOS 16 actually bring me?.
iOS 16 Guides - iPhone Tips and Tricks
This area will continue to fill up over the coming days and weeks. So far we've been able to publish one or two iOS 16 instructions - but there's so much more about the lock screen and widgets, getting back mail and e-mails, messages and SharePlay, editing photos and cutting out motifs, the home screen and search function as well as much more to say. Here you can find the previously published iOS 16 guides and guides:
Lock screen and widgets
- Lock screen notifications on iOS 16: Count, Stack or List
- Widgets on the iOS 16 lock screen: choice in the first beta
- iOS 16 tip: Show battery charge status in the battery icon (and which models it doesn't work on)
camera and photos
- The top three camera app improvements in iOS 16
- Photos app under iOS 16: innovations summarized for you
- Automatically crop photos with iPhone
- Remove Duplicate Pictures: Merge Duplicate Photos on iPhone
- iPhone Guide: Recall, edit, and more messages
- Messages App: Recover Deleted Messages and Chats on iPhone
- Cancel Sending: Cancel sent email on iPhone
- iPhone Guide: Send Email Later with Mail App
- iPhone Guide: Remind me of email to reply later
- Forbid web access to iCloud: This is how you only access it via your own devices
- iPhone 14 Accident Detection - Enable and Disable in Settings
- Safety Check from iOS 16: Protection against tracking by people with digital access
- Passkeys - Encrypted access instead of using a password
- Blocking mode / lock mode on iPhone – Better protect against cyber attacks from iOS 16
Bugs, errors and problems
- iOS 16 with old bug: Constant Apple ID query in the App Store
- ImageCaptureCore error 9956 and others - how to solve them
- iOS 16 and iPadOS 16: Apple Pay in Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge & more browsers
- iPhone search function: Use Spotlight functions on your smartphone
- iPhone 14 Pro (Max) Always-On Display – How it works and when it goes out
- Apple Watch Sync - View and Control Smartwatch on iPhone
Question about iOS 16? We're trying to find an answer!
Do you have any questions, comments or problem descriptions about the new iPhone system? Can't find the right guide on Apple or other blogs? Then feel free to leave a comment on the topic! We try to find an answer to every question and to work out solutions for problems, errors and bugs.
[On vacation] After graduating from high school, Johannes completed training as a business assistant specializing in foreign languages. But then he decided to research and write, which led to his independence. He has been working for Sir Apfelot, among others, for several years now. His articles include product introductions, news, instructions, video games, consoles and much more. He follows Apple keynotes live via stream.