I was finally able to install Big Sur after the download kept me waiting for ages. Before I could actually install macOS Big Sur, an error occurred during the installation - probably caused by many disconnections. But that's a story for another post ...
Feel free to add a comment in this post which apps you no longer run with macOS Big Sur.
Which apps are compatible?
The first difficulties have been overcome and now it's time to check which software runs properly with macOS Big Sur and which software still causes problems. I have put both "types" in separate lists and written the version numbers and notes, if there is something to explain.
If you like this list, I look forward to your participation to fill it up further. If you have certain problems with programs, please use the comment function to tell me what is not working with and which version it is - I will then add it to this list.
The Parallels Desktop error message was provoked by me because I did not install the latest version that is compatible with macOS Big Sur.
[-] Mac apps not working yet
Fortunately, the list of programs that are incompatible is still quite manageable for me. I haven't tried all of my apps yet, but you might notice a few more programs.
- Parallels Desktop - Version 15.1.4 (Parallels Desktop 16 works)
- Carbon Copy Cloner - Version 5.1.22 (Carbon Copy Cloner cannot currently create bootable backups of Big Sur startup volumes because of a bug in macOS)
- Unlock Mac with Apple Watch does not work (reported several times) - Solution: log out of iCloud and log back in and then use the "Unlock with Apple Watch" function in System Preferences> Security reactivate.
- Phrase Express - Version 3.0.31 (will not be further developed)
- Dozer from Mortennn
- VPN to the office via FRITZ! Box no longer works (reader message)
- DramaQueen - on request there is a beta from the developers
I am also happy to create a section for peripheral devices that no longer work with macOS Big Sur because there are no suitable drivers or other technical problems exist.
[+] Mac apps. that work
- Dashlane - version 6.2044.0
- SpamSieve - Version 2.9.40 (you have to reactivate the plugin in Apple Mail)
- Mailbutler - Version 3410 (you have to reactivate the plugin in Apple Mail)
- Bear - version 1.7.21
- BBEdit - version 13.5.2
- Transmit - version 5.6.7
- Tyme 2 - version 2019.21
- WhatsApp - version 2.2043.22
- Microsoft 365 Word
- Sublime Text - version 3.2.2
- Firefox - version 82.0.3
- Yojimbo - version 3.0.4
- Adobe Photoshop - Version 22.0.0
- News Explorer - version 1.9.11
- Tweetbot for Mac - version 3.4.3
- Things - version 3.13.3
- Mail Designer - version 2
- ScanSnap Home - Version 1.9.1
- iStat Menus - Version 6.5.1 (optimized for Apple Silicon)
[+] Devices that are still working
- ScanSnap iX500 - my beloved document scanner still works perfectly with the ScanSnap Home software
Strange problems with apps when using them
I noticed some strange things that can probably be described as minor bugs. They don't make working with the apps impossible, but I found the behavior strange enough to briefly describe it here.
Adobe Photoshop 21
- If I type a lot of non-breaking spaces (ALT + space bar) with the text tool in a row, the Siri window opens and I suddenly start typing in it.
- Note from a reader: Adding a link to a note in the Notes app without inviting someone is no longer possible. I can no longer invite myself either. I used this to quickly jump back and forth between the individual notes using links.
Jens has been running the blog since 2012. He appears as Sir Apfelot for his readers and helps them with problems of a technical nature. In his free time he drives electric unicycles, takes photos (preferably with his iPhone, of course), climbs around in the Hessian mountains or hikes with the family. His articles deal with Apple products, news from the world of drones or solutions for current bugs.