Many of you probably know that you can start a full-text search on the Apple Mac, iMac and MacBook in certain apps with the command key and F (⌘+F) as a key combination. But how can you replace the found text with another? I'll show you in this guide for the programs Microsoft Word and Apple Pages on. You can exchange individual words as well as groups of words, sentences and punctuation marks. If you've made the same mistake over and over again, you don't have to fix it individually, you can do it Find and replace text in a few taps use.
Chapter in this post:
Find and replace text in Microsoft Word
If you use the Microsoft word processor Word under macOS, you can search and replace words, phrases, etc. with just a few clicks and inputs. Here is the step-by-step guide that will get you there safely:
- Click in the top right corner of the app window on the magnifying glass left of the "Find in document" input field
- Now click in the selection that appears Substitute…-Option
- A search mask opens on the left in the app window, in which you note the incorrect entry in the upper input field
- In the lower input field, write down what you want to replace the upper input with
- To replace the single selected case, click "Replace"; if you want to correct all errors directly, click on "Replace all"
Further down in this article you will find illustrated instructions with screenshots in addition to these five points. In it, I'll show you how you can easily replace punctuation marks and words - several at once to save a lot of time.
Find and replace text in Apple Pages
If you use the Apple word processor Pages under macOS on the Mac, you can also search, find and replace words, characters, groups of words, phrases and more there. You can carry out the search as the first step in various ways. Via the magnifying glass in the toolbar (if placed there), via the key combination cmd + F or ⌘+F or via Edit -> Search -> Search…. Once you have found your favourite, proceed as follows:
- Opens the "Find & Replace"input screen in one of the ways shown
- give in upper text box the characters to search for
- give in bottom text box enter the characters to be used for this
- Now vote for him single swap "Replace" or the full correction "Replace Everything"
- Closes to finish the little window
I have also reproduced these briefly outlined measures for the quick correction of repeated errors in text files using screenshots. You can find the screenshot instructions for finding and replacing text in Apple Pages at the bottom of this post.
Screenshot guide: Fix repeated errors in Word
The above list shows the procedure in theory. In order to make the whole thing a bit clearer, I have also made a few screenshots of the individual steps for you. In the following I will convert the dot from several decimal values into a comma in a Word document and replace a multiple misspelled word with the correct spelling:
Screenshot guide: Fix repeated errors in Pages
After the theory in the steps listed above, the practice follows here as well. I simulated the same errors as Word: decimal values with periods instead of commas and the word “decimal value” with a lower case letter. Instead of replacing the dot and the small d individually in all ten lines, you can use the Apple Pages "Find & Replace" window:
- Heiting, Mareile (Author)
- Horst Dieter Radke (Author)
[On vacation] After graduating from high school, Johannes completed training as a business assistant specializing in foreign languages. But then he decided to research and write, which led to his independence. He has been working for Sir Apfelot, among others, for several years now. His articles include product introductions, news, instructions, video games, consoles and much more. He follows Apple keynotes live via stream.
The page contains affiliate links / images: Amazon.de