Actually, I'm a big fan of the Velcro cable ties that I've been using for years to organize cables on my desk or even to attach power supplies to the crossbar of my desk.
I already mentioned this type of cable tie a good two years ago in the article "Velcro cable ties with eyelets in a set with different lengths' and they've served me well ever since.
Chapter in this post:
Cable ties for cable collection
A few days ago, however, I wanted to sort my collection of charging and connection cables and had to realize that I didn't have the right utensils.
The Velcro cable ties are a bit oversized if you only want to tie a USB charging cable together and they are usually a bit more expensive.
A quick search on Amazon led me to a new (to me) type of zip tie: resealable zip ties, which have a small mechanism to unlock them again. This is very practical if you want to use cables occasionally but want to pack them up again to save space for storage.
Various lengths and widths available
The 20cm version is actually too long for my charging cable, but since I occasionally have thicker XLR cables or sometimes extension cables, I wanted to get this length.
In cable ties I bought are 20 cm long and 8 mm wide. According to the manufacturer, the maximum load should be between 8 and 18 kg – more than enough to hold a few cables together.
- ✅ Pack of 100 Cable Ties Black - 200mm x 8mm. The industry standard length of 200mm and width over...
- 🔥 HEAT AND UV RESISTANT - Our cable ties for extreme loads are extremely UV and heat resistant, ...
- 💪 HEAVY DUTY - The zipties are made of industrial quality polyamide 6.6 and are suitable for private ...
3 sizes in one set
However, there are still a cable tie set, which contains three different sizes: 40x 10 cm, 40x 15 cm, 40x 20 cm. That might have been the better choice, because then you have different sizes available.
- ➤ REUSABLE CABLE TIES: Who doesn't know that? Cable ties that need to be cut and then...
- ➤ SIMPLE APPLICATION THROUGH NEW DESIGN: In order to ensure ease of use, we have ...
- ➤ LIMITLESS APPLICATIONS: Our robust cable ties are suitable for both permanent attachments and ...
Many variants on this product page
And if all this is too short, too wide or too long, you can find the reusable cable ties in many other lengths and widths. If you go to the Product page of the ERKO cable ties, one finds all possible variants.
- Cable tie set (100 pieces) made of resistant polyamide 66 for indoor and outdoor use
- Product applicable in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, crafts, construction, agriculture, gardening and DIY.
- Resistance to: fats, detergents, refined products, chlorinated solvents, alcohols and phenols.
And no, I am not paid by ERKO for this mention. I only chose the product because you can find a lot of widths and lengths on one page.
I hope you also find use for such cable ties. I find them so useful that I give them one Pick of the week treat. If you also have practical utensils for cable organization, I would be happy to receive tips and hints in the comments.
Jens has been running the blog since 2012. He acts as Sir Apfelot for his readers and helps them with technical problems. In his spare time he rides electric unicycles, takes photos (preferably with the iPhone, of course), climbs around in the Hessian mountains or hikes with the family. His articles deal with Apple products, news from the world of drones or solutions to current bugs.
The page contains affiliate links / images: Amazon.de