Chapter in this post:
- 1 What kind of Apple gift card do I have?
- 2 Apple Store gift card
- 3 App Store & iTunes Gift Cards
- 4 senior gift cards
- 5 How do I redeem an Apple Store Gift Card?
- 6 How can I redeem an App Store & iTunes Gift Card?
- 7 On the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
- 8 Redeem the App Store & iTunes gift card on your Windows PC
- 9 Using the App Store & iTunes Gift Card on Android
Do you still have an Apple gift card lying around or received one in December? Then you may be wondering where and how you can redeem it. This is exactly what this guide is for. Here I answer questions like: What kind of gift card do I actually have? How do I redeem gift cards for the App Store, Apple Store, iTunes and Apple Music? And what actually is a content code? If you have any questions afterwards, just leave a comment or click through to the specified sources;)
What kind of Apple Gift Card do I have?
Are currently available Apple Store-Gift cards as well as voucher cards for the App Store and for iTunes-Content. You can also use older gift cards for Apple Music as well as for the iTunes Store be in circulation. Here I have summarized the most important features and pictures of the Gift Cards for you:
Apple Store Gift Card
- Among other things, an explanatory text is printed on it, which shows whether the credit can be redeemed in the online store or only in the Apple Store (in Germany, Switzerland and France probably only in the Apple Store)
- You will also find a link on the card with which you can view the corresponding credit
- A telephone number is also noted for support inquiries
App Store & iTunes Gift Cards
- Among other things, an explanatory text is printed on it that says that the gift credit can be used for books, iCloud, films and series, music, apps and games
- You will also find the link under which you can redeem the card
- Another link shows where you can turn with questions to get help with the use of the voucher
Older gift cards
If you have gift cards lying around that differ optically or in terms of the printed content from the examples mentioned, they are probably older. But that doesn't matter, because you can still redeem it for credit that is linked to your Apple ID. To do this, too, all you have to do is follow the steps shown on the map.
Source for information and pictures: support document HT204199
How do I redeem an Apple Store Gift Card?
As already mentioned above, you cannot redeem an Apple Store gift card online according to the current status, but have to carry it to the Apple Store around the corner to go shopping. In addition to Germany, this is the case in Switzerland, France and Singapore. If this should change, the corresponding footnote in the support document linked above will certainly be adapted.
How can I redeem an App Store & iTunes Gift Card?
The situation is different, of course, with the other cards with credit for digital content. Most of the time you read the link directly on it, under which you can load the same for your user account. Alternatively, you can find the "Redeem card or code" button in the support document HT201209.
On the Mac, this opens the iTunes app (up to macOS Mojave). If you are on a Windows PC, an iPhone or iPad or an Android device, there are also suitable procedures.
On the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
- Open the on the mobile device App Store
- Choose the today-Tab from (start page of the app)
- Tap in the top right your photo / your avatar
- Then type Redeem card or code to (only works if you are logged in with your Apple ID)
- Now the camera can use the Barcode photographed or manually the Card code can be entered
- Then on Ready tap and use the loaded credit
Redeem the App Store & iTunes gift card on your Windows PC
On the Windows PC you need the iTunes app to transfer the corresponding credit from a voucher card. If you have iTunes installed on Windows and you are logged in with your Apple ID, proceed as follows:
- In the menu bar of the program window Account here
- Then the point redeem choose
- Register and the Follow the instructions on the screen
Use the App Store & iTunes Gift Card on Android
The use of gift cards for Apple products is logically restricted on a smartphone, tablet or other device with Android. They can only be used with an Apple Music subscription. And for this you proceed as follows:
- On the device the Apple Music Open app
- The Menu open by means of the three dots in a row
- The point Account tap
- Subsequently Redeem card or code choose
- The Code on the back of the card Enter (see above) and click redeem tippen
Tip: You can find more information, help articles in the event that something does not work or the card code is illegible / damaged, as well as support for other queries in the linked Apple sources. In the event that you cannot redeem the gift card, there is also another support document: HT201195.
Jens has been running the blog since 2012. He appears as Sir Apfelot for his readers and helps them with problems of a technical nature. In his free time he drives electric unicycles, takes photos (preferably with his iPhone, of course), climbs around in the Hessian mountains or hikes with the family. His articles deal with Apple products, news from the world of drones or solutions for current bugs.
Did you like the article and did the instructions on the blog help you? Then I would be happy if you the blog via a Steady Membership or at Patreon would support.