It is the last Friday of 2017 and thus also the last Sir Apfelot newsreel before the new big technology year 2018. This time we will look together at the Apple and technology news that caught my eye this week (especially Apple and a bit of CCC). Including sources, I don't want to withhold from you what there is to report with regard to Mac, iMac, MacBook, iPhone, iPad and Co. If you also have interesting news from the world of technology at hand, please leave it with a (reputable) source as a comment!
Chapter in this post:
- 1 The 2017 Apple Year: Releases, Announcements, and Rumors
- 2 2017 Apple Releases and Announcements
- 3 The Biggest Apple Rumors of 2017
- 4 “Steve Jobs” as an Italian clothing brand
- 5 Test: MacBook Pro and iPad Pro far ahead in comparison
- 6 class actions against Apple in the US and Europe
- 7 Apple wins the race in the "Holiday Season"
- 8 iMac Pro teardown: everything black on the professional computer
- 9 Lisa source code is available free of charge
- 10 34C3 News at heise.de
- 11 The next newsreel in week 1 2018
- 12 Similar posts
The Apple Year 2017: Releases, Announcements, and Rumors
The Apple Rumors Page MacRumors.com has summarized Apple's publications and the corresponding rumors from 2017 in two articles. What always sounds exciting and stimulates the imagination at the time of publication, often looks like old cheese at the end of the year - that's how fast the digital age is;)
2017 Apple releases and announcements
- 5th generation Apple iPad as the new standard tablet
- New Apple iPad Pro models (9,7 and 10,5 inches)
- Apple MacBook Pro models with Touch Bar and Kaby Lake CPU
- Apple MacBook Air models, also with a better processor
- New iMac models with Kaby Lake, Thunderbolt 3 and other innovations
- Apple TV 4K support at the September keynote vorgestellt
- Apple iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X
- Apple Watch Series 3, now with its own LTE cellular network
- Software: iOS 11, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, tvOS 11, watchOS 4
- Apple iMac Pro, the recently to buy
- Announcements: new Mac Pro and HomePod coming in 2018
- Source: com / 2017/12/28 / everything-apple-introduced-in-2017 /
The Biggest Apple Rumors of 2017
- Rumors about the size, materials, charging functions and home button of the iPhone X
- Switching from the Lightning connector on the iPhone to Thunderbolt 3 / USB Type C
- iPhone models 7s and 7s Plus, which then became iPhone 8 and 8 Plus
- Confirmed rumor: New Apple Watch gets its own cellular network
- Through iTunes film purchases and their metadata, some users became aware of the upcoming Apple TV 4K as early as July
- Since May 2016 there have been rumors about the Apple version of the Amazon Echo, which turned out to be true with the HomePod
- There were reports on the 10,5 inch iPad in January; New models (with OLED displays) are also expected for 2018
- Source: com / 2017/12/27 / biggest-apple-rumors-and-leaks-2017 /
"Steve Jobs" as an Italian clothing brand
After years of litigation, the two Italian brothers Vincenzo and Giacomo Barbato were able to secure the name "Steve Jobs" for their clothing brand. They have been trying to get the name since 2012. They could also design the J in Jobs with an apple leaf as a dot and with a missing piece (like the “Bite / Byte” in the Apple logo). How to use the Wikipedia article on the case can read, the two brothers were able to secure the name, among other things, because Apple Inc. had not secured it as a trademark. How to Fix the Online Edition of the la Republica Napoli As can be seen, the brothers make jeans with the name Steve Jobs, among other things. I don't know whether they also produce black turtlenecks: D
Test: MacBook Pro and iPad Pro far ahead in comparison
Stiftung Warentest tested various tablets, laptops and hybrid devices for the "test" issue 1/2018. The evaluation, which can be accessed online for a few euros, clearly shows that mobile Apple products, especially the MacBook Pro and the iPad Pro, have the edge. How one in the comments can see, there is (as always) resentment among the readers, since the Apple models are comparatively expensive. But if you want a Windows computer with similar performance and modernity, then you often have to dig deep into your pocket ...
Other interesting articles from the newsreel:
- Sir Apfelot Wochenschau - Apple and tech news of week 49
- Sir Apfelot Wochenschau - Apple and tech news of week 48
- Sir Apfelot Wochenschau - Apple and tech news of week 34
- Sir Apfelot Wochenschau - Apple and tech news of week 32
- Sir Apfelot Wochenschau - Apple and tech news of week 31
Class lawsuits against Apple in the US and Europe
How already reported last week, Apple installed a performance brake for older iPhones in an iOS update to save their battery. Of course, this slowing down of the smartphone performance could not happen without resistance, since many users now (rightly) feel disadvantaged and do not want to accept any losses in the range of performance of the mobile phone. Accordingly, class action lawsuits have already been filed against the technology giant in the USA Cupertino result. In Europe, it should now also happen berichtet iPhone-Ticker.de. After all, it is a planned obsolescence and a push to buy a new model.
Apple wins the race in the "Holiday Season"
How "Flurry Analytics", A subsidiary of Yahoo, announced that Apple topped the digital gift list for Christmas 2017 with its iPhone models. A total of 44% of all mobile phones that were activated in the week before Christmas came from the company from Cupertino. Followed by Samsung with 26%, Huawei with 5%, Xiaomi, Motorola, LG and OPPO with 3% each and Vivo with 2%. There was also a breakdown of the individual iPhone models under the Christmas tree; the most popular was the iPhone 7:
iMac Pro teardown: everything black on the professional computer
In the last two weeks I have already presented you with messages about the iMac at this point; on the one hand that you can finally buy it (for the change you need), on the other hand that there is an exclusive security feature in the macOS of the iMac Pro in the form of the “Startup Security Utility”. Now there is the next message from the Apple computer, which optically fights on the dark side of computing power: a professional teardown from ... no, not iFixit.com, which usually comes along very quickly with something like this - but from OWC. Here is the video showing the disassembly of the iMac Pro (a bit lengthy, but still interesting):
Lisa source code is available free of charge
Few will remember, most of them will have read it or seen it in a movie: Apple had rather moderate success when it came to computers with a device named after Steve Jobs' daughter: the "Apple Lisa" from 1983. Too this computer also included the first graphic operating system for computers, the Lisa Operating System; and this will be made available for free public access from 2018 - this reports along with other sources, among other things the Macer head.
34C3 News at heise.de
For the 34th time, the Chaos Computer Club has launched a meeting with workshops, lectures and presentations, which summarizes the opportunities and dangers of digital technology. There is some noteworthy content produced by the convention called 34C3. There is a great overview of all topics at heise.de under the tag Chaos Computer Club. Whether wiretapping of 4G mobile communications, social bots, EMP attacks on smartphones and cell phones, calls for donations from Edward Snowden or the possibility that the home Vacuum cleaner robot is hacked - you will find a report there on each of these and other exciting topics.
The next newsreel in week 1 2018
That's it for this year. The next bigger messages, test reports, recommendations, App-Tests and the like more as well as the next Sir Apfelot newsreel will be available in the first calendar week of 2018. At this point we wish you a happy new year! Until then!
After graduating from high school, Johannes completed an apprenticeship as a business assistant specializing in foreign languages. But then he decided to research and write, which resulted in his independence. For several years he has been working for Sir Apfelot, among others. His articles include product introductions, news, manuals, video games, consoles, and more. He follows Apple keynotes live via stream.