The accessories manufacturer 8BitDo has announced that some of the gaming controllers on offer are now also compatible with Apple systems. The gamepads, which are available in a modern or retro design, can be used with the Mac, iPhone, iPad and Apple TV. In the following I have compiled for you which models of the 8BitDo controller can be coupled with the Apple devices, which requirements apply and which restrictions there are (currently still).
Chapter in this post:
- 1 These 8BitDo controllers can be used on Mac, iPhone, iPad and Apple TV
- 2 These Apple devices and systems support 8BitDo controllers
- 3 How can you pair an 8BitDo gamepad with Mac, iPhone and Co.?
- 4 Is it also possible to connect the 8BitDo controller via USB cable?
- 5 How many 8BitDo gamepads can you connect to an Apple device?
- 6 What games are currently supported?
- 7 Can you remap (remap) the knobs and buttons?
- 8 Can you control the home screen?
- 9 What are the restrictions?
- Buy 10 8BitDo game controllers for Apple devices
- 11 Similar posts
These 8BitDo controllers can be used on Mac, iPhone, iPad and Apple TV
Under the heading "Officially supported by Apple", the accessory manufacturer 8BitDo lists on its Website recently came up with several video game controllers that can be used on Apple systems. The list consists of these gamepads:
- 8BitDo SN30 Pro
- 8BitDo SN30 Pro for Android
- 8BitDo Pro+
- 8BitDo Pro 2
- 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G
- 8BitDo Lite SE
These Apple devices and systems support 8BitDo controllers
If you want to use the models mentioned for gaming or for other purposes on Apple devices, you must update them to the latest version of the respective operating system. Because only the latest OS versions are currently supported:
- Apple Mac: macOS 13.2 and newer
- Apple iPhone: iOS 16.3 and newer
- Apple iPad: iPadOS 16.3 and newer
- Apple TV: tvOS 16.3 and later
How can you pair an 8BitDo gamepad with Mac, iPhone and Co.?
Pairing via Bluetooth is currently supported as a wireless connection. To do this, the mode switch on some gamepads must be set to the “D” position. On other controllers, you have to press a specific key or combination of keys. There are illustrated instructions for each process on the manufacturer's website linked above. Apple provides the support document to help connect their devices to wireless game controllers HT210414
Is it also possible to connect the 8BitDo controller via USB cable?
The cable connection is only possible with devices that have a USB-C connection. This includes current Mac and iPad models. Currently sold versions of iPhone and Apple TV are not included. In addition, the "SN30 Pro for Android" game controller cannot currently be used with Apple devices via cable (but can be used via Bluetooth).
How many 8BitDo gamepads can you connect to an Apple device?
Up to four game controllers can be paired and used simultaneously for multiplayer games.
Which games are currently supported?
All games from the App Store and games from the Apple Arcade subscription, the MFI-Controller support. (I can imagine that 8BitDo states this for legal reasons, because games and programs from other sources will certainly also be usable with the gamepads.)
Can you remap (remap) the buttons and keys?
That's fine. If you want to remap the individual controls of the 8BitDo controllers, you can do this in the settings on the individual Apple devices - but only after pairing via Bluetooth or cable, before these menu items are not displayed:
- Apple Mac: System Preferences -> Game Controllers
- iPhone / iPad: Settings -> General -> Game Controllers
- Apple TV: Settings -> General -> Remotes and Devices -> Bluetooth
Can you control the home screen?
This is possible on the iPad and Apple TV. This is not supported on the iPhone.
What restrictions are there?
Currently, when using the 8BitDo game controllers with Apple devices, neither motion control nor vibration (rumble) are available. However, it is possible that these functions will be added with a later update. The same applies to the 2.4G function of the 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G, which cannot be paired with the offered dongle either (but via Bluetooth and cable).
Buy 8BitDo game controllers for Apple devices
In the following I have listed the product pages of the 8BitDo game controllers available from Amazon, which you can use on Mac, iPhone, iPad and Apple TV. So if you just wanted info, you can stop reading here. If you would like to leave a comment, just scroll over the links below.
- 8BitDo SN30 Pro – View and buy here
- 8BitDo Pro 2 – View and buy here
- 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G – View and buy here
- 8BitDo Lite SE – View and buy here
- Compatible with Switch, Windows, macOS, tvOS, iPadOS, iOS, Android, Steam. You don't have to buy different gamepads for...
- Enjoy games like Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Brothers, Destiny 2, Splatoon, Breath of the Wild,...
- Support Wii 360 Box Retron5 (for modes: NES, SNES, Genesis, Famicom, Game Boy Advance, Super Famicom, Mega).
- Quick mode switch on the back, no need combination keys to turn on
- additional 2 pro-level back keys easily re-mapped or profiled via ultimate software...
- a special profile button with corresponding indicator lights. Up to 3 sets of profiles can be stored in the controller...
- Compatible with Switch via Bluetooth and Windows with a 2,4g adapter
- Multifunctional charging station - Stable connection and the controller switches on/off automatically when it ...
- Joystick with hall effect sensor
- Ultra portable
- Engineered for Accessibility - The buttons have less resistance so they're easy to press...
- L3/R3 separated
After graduating from high school, Johannes completed an apprenticeship as a business assistant specializing in foreign languages. But then he decided to research and write, which resulted in his independence. For several years he has been working for Sir Apfelot, among others. His articles include product introductions, news, manuals, video games, consoles, and more. He follows Apple keynotes live via stream.
The page contains affiliate links / images: Amazon.de